Friday, November 28, 2008

Even after all this time
The sun never says to the earth, "You owe me."
Look what happens with a Love like that!
—It lights the whole Sky. (Hafiz)




Writing a love poem is like building difficult quarters, the edification of an ambitious house; it is a launch of happiness in every direction with your eyes shut. A love poem always looks for the personification of this dear virtue that is mandated by the most beautiful religions of the world. Once you have your muse, your inspiration, your conflagration, once you have lost every single fragment of rationalism and your aesthetic guide has taken over to become your autopilot, once that magnificent image has proven willing & able to be the visual & lyrical epitaph of Love, then & only then, it is time for such an endeavor to begin. This is my poetical wager, my hunt for the deadly essence of passion, my will to capture the dangerous ardor of romance so I may study it, so I may admire it, so I can contemplate it, but above all else, so I can expand the intensity of life by standing next to its (her) fire.

No comments: