Friday, January 09, 2009

CAFETERIA

2 Israelis trying to connect
It seems they just woke up
From their Mexican sleep



FEDERALES


The Federales pulled me over
So I got off my bicycle
And they asked me questions
About my work
About my radio
About my home

I noticed a similar pattern
To the boring migra questions
They repeat the same inquiry
More than once during their conversations
Hoping somehow you’ll give them
A different answer

“Are you nervous?”
“No just a little tired”
“Why do you want this radio?”
“I want it so I can operate it”
“This radio is used by the maña
“The what?”
“The maña
“The mafia?”
“The maña
“I think you should be on a bicycle too”
“What?”
“Never mind”
“What do you do for a living?”
“I am writer”
“How many works have you published?”¨
“A few poems”
“Poems?”
“Poems…like poetry”
“So then you are a poet?”
“There you go”
“Can we search your belongings?”
“Sure”

They looked in my backpack
They rang my bicycle bell
They played with my Leatherman
They looked at my passport

“Are you a Mexican National?”
“That is correct”
“Thank you Sir”
“You are welcome”

They drove away
Holding their AR15’s
Close to their bodies
They seemed like nice kids

No comments: