Saturday, August 30, 2008

FATHER


Father
When I asked you
If our brethren
Had started the war
You told me the truth

A pitch roof
Is bad for missiles

Father
The speaker
Had the eyes
Of a dog
And you sat
Next to me
I felt so proud
And the lecturer
Scratched his beard

Father
Again you were with me
And the federal judge
Ruled in favor
Of children
In favor of happiness
In favor of the future

Father
How I admired you
That day when
Your gorgeous opponent
Tried to seduce you
To persuade you
To influence you
With her exquisite touch
But you did not released
Your harvest

Father
And the city looked more beautiful
And I was struck with contemplation
Looking at the river
Through the window
In the skyscraper

Father
You were always
So kind in church
And so fierce
At work

Father I came to understand
And to love
Your choice of diets
How happy I was
When our community
Ate together and
I saw you
Slicing pieces of ham

Father
You made me
You thought me
You inspired me
And you terrified me
With things I did not understand
And you were so strong
How did you get so strong?

No comments: