Tuesday, January 30, 2007

BACKWARDS


Ron Cohn
You didn’t have to lie
You didn’t have
To say you are Catholic
It’s okay if you are Muslim
Or Jewish
Buddhist
Hindu
Or whatever
I wanted to help you anyway
I was actually
Starting to like you

I knew something
Was wrong when
I saw you wearing
Your sweater backwards
And as a friendly gesture
I let you know

Just like I let you know
About the bugs in
Your store

And since we are
On the subject
Of knowing
Your stores are also
Backwards

And no matter how
Much ice
You put on
The dead fish
They’re not going
To resurrect

You want me
To speak to your wife?

I thought
Since you are now wearing trousers
(green ones)
You are the man
To talk to
Are you?

And even though
I am living below
The poverty level
With the wages
You are paying me
I still can’t help
And tell you
Not to change
The color of
Your shirt
More than once a day

You might start
To look like food

I tell you Ron
And the Lord is my witness
Your store is filled
With those who
Live by the following motto
Eat or Die!

No comments: